- Worked on the following assignment:
Proposition Speech Assignment:
You and your partner will research a California Proposition on the ballot tomorrow, November 4th. You will produce a 1 minute speech or advertisement (no less, no more) that persuades your audience of your viewpoint.
You will present your arguments on Wednesday, Nov. 5th. The winning side will receive a prize!
What You Need to Know:
• What the proposition is actually about
• Why people should vote for it
• A rebuttal to your opponent’s argument (i.e. Why people shouldn’t believe your opponents)
Recommendations for Your Speech:
• Find a few points to focus on (go for depth over breadth)
• Use a persuasive method (use logic, appeal to emotion, reference an authority like scientists or professionals
• You can use visual aides but you can’t use other people’s advertisements
• Your argument must be truthful and rational (don’t resort to dirty tactics)
Homework: Due Tomorrow (Tuesday, 11-4-08)
Proposition Research Assignment:
• Research all of the Propositions on this year’s ballot (1A-12).
• Write up if you would vote “Yes” or “No” for each.
• Explain why you would vote this way in at least two sentences.
Due Nov. 4th at the beginning of the period