- Reviewed the Pros and Cons of Capitalism and Socialism.
- Considered the following questions: Why is it important that we have many different words that mean similar things? Why do we need the word “sorrow” when it means something similar to “sad”?
- Then, we played a game of Taboo wherein we had to communicate a message about how oppressive the government is with a reduced vocabulary.
- Then we reconsidered the question: Why is it important that we have many different words that mean similar things?
- Then, we reflected on the activity by writing a paragraph response to EACH of the following questions:
- Paragraph #1: How did having a reduced vocabulary make you feel? Why would reducing vocabulary be a useful tool to control people?
- Paragraph #2: Using today’s activity as evidence, explain why literacy is important for political revolutions.
Homework: Due Tomorrow (Tuesday, 1-13-09)
- Today’s activity connects to tonight’s reading. Read Chapter 5, Book 1 from 1984 and annotate once per page.